How to Make Mondays NOT Suck #36
How to Make Mondays NOT Suck is a strategic and sometimes satirical mini-series that will make your Mondays less ...sucky. If this is your first time embarking on a Make Mondays NOT Suck (#MMNS) journey, we suggest that read this first. Because let's face it, as optimistic as we may be, we still think that Mondays Suck
Why Does This Monday Suck? (Click here to tell us why yours does!)
You're starting to feel a little better after your recent minor health setback and had a wonderful weekend of magnificent weather, a great stag, a hilarious comedy show, parties, pools, the beach and playing hockey.
You close your eyes for a minute and take a deep breath as you put your sunglasses on to prepare for the morning commute... and you can still smell the sunscreen residue from yesterdays festivities.
Just for a split second you are tempted to quit your job and just become a piece of driftwood at the beach.
rest assured that the next holiday weekend is merely 48 days away.. (and you couldn't come a day sooner Labor Day Weekend)
How to Make Mondays NOT Suck THIS WEEK
But First: Weekend Recap
As mentioned above, this weekend was fairly eventful and because we're all about networking and meeting new people (not a big deal), we were introduced by new instagram follower @w3sleysnipes to this awesome app that will make your day that much more optimistic:
The app prompts you to submit a video diary entry every day from a video taken on that day which is trimmed down to 1.5 seconds. The premise is that at the end of the year you have a whole video of smaller clips from throughout the year to commemorate each day.
An awesome concept to a similar idea we've had, so we're gonna have to scratch that one off the list.. but we'll keep developing our other ideas as well.
Game of Thrones
Amazing eppy boys! (reference to hilarious hockey parody instagram account )
I'm not going to go into too much detail about this but I thought that this video warranted a mention in today's post in a very existential state of contemplation:
But now that all is said and done, we're still back at it again Making Mondays NOT Suck By:
Take in A Sunset
What a transition right? Talking Game of Thrones and 'New Diary Apps'....but before we lose you on this one, hear us out..
Here's our take on the Huffington Post Article "7 Reasons You Should Make Time For The Sunset":
- It can slow down time - Our perception of time is vastly influenced by our mindset. If we feel rushed, we are. If we take a few minutes out of the day to take a trip to just catch a sunset, we open up our lives by breaking the cycle of "running around" to make sure everything gets done.
- It doesn’t take long - Honestly, make the commitment today and take a different route home... just stepping out of your routine for five minutes to make this conscious effort will disrupt the routine.
- It forces you outside - It's gorgeous here and any excuse to get outside to breath some fresh air is a good one. Make this your excuse today.
- It introduces mindfulness - We're going off-book here, this one isn't on the actual list but this is our interpretation: Sitting and taking in the sites of something as awe-inspiring as a sunset really introduces the mind to connect to reality in the present. "“the nonjudgmental awareness of experiences in the present moment" as described in the article.
- It will force you to put your phone down - This one might be tough for us millennials, not sure we can actually do this without letting everyone know that we're #sunsetting #defragging #omg #worksucked #iknow #blink182 - but in theory, let's take the picture and wait until we return home to Wi-Fi to get that upload going , after we actually experience the sunset for its true beauty for a few minutes.
- It will help you appreciate life’s gifts- Really taking the conscious effort to slow the brain down and attempt to understand the beauty in every moment will train the brain to enjoy life more. Try to view the moment isolated from all other experiences you've had in the past, but as a new, opportunity to enjoy a completely separate moment in time.
- It will inspire you - Awe-inspiring thoughts: 1. There's only one sun. 2. Everyone that has ever lived in the history of the world has known the same sun. #wut “When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.” - Ghandi - Ghandi and us are experiencing the same sunset. #TheSecret #Inspire
With all that being said, it is very convenient for us to recommend this practice because as a member of the Morris Cove community, you'll know that one of the best locations to view a sunset is to visit the regionally infamous Pardee Seawall Park:
and because long time supporter Laurie M. aka (@luvyamadrefierce) loves sunsets here is a selfie of her reppin' the tank and enjoying the elements:
Until next week, thanks for #MakingMondaysNOTsuck with us!
And don't forget to vent to us about why your Monday Sucks, because just like this tweet (follow us on twitter) describes, we STILL think that Mondays generally suck.
Shooters shoot, and closers close. Go out there and crush this week.